Repton Village History Group are hosting a small Viking incursion – the first since that time in 874AD when they left the place a bit of a mess. Then, they used St Wystan’s as a fortified gateway in a defensive ditch, destroyed the Benedictine Monastery and exiled King Burgred.Read more
Ticknall’s name was derived from its landscape setting and land use. The first syllable ‘tic’ reflects the pastoral economy of the time, showing that it was grazed by goats. There were still goatherds in the area in the 16th century. The second syllable is ‘halh’ (Saxon) = a nook or hollow of land, the village being tucked into a slight dip in the landscape.Read more
The Thringstone Fault crosses the parish of Ticknall from east to west, separating the Coal Measures clays to the south from the upthrust Carboniferous Limestone to the north. Other outliers of limestone occur at Calke, Dimminsdale, Breedon and Cloud Hill, but otherwise limestone is fairly rare in the area.Read more
I have collected a considerable amount of local source material which may be useful to anyone engaged in genealogical research.
The following records can be name searched and the results emailed back in Microsoft Word format:-Read more
There are over 30 known pottery sites in the Ticknall area. Excavations have produced 13th century Coal Measures White Wares on production sites.
Documents from 1328 refer to “le cleyputs” and in the late 1200s Henricus ad Furnum (Henry at the oven) is named. It is probably a pot oven.Read more
Visitors to Ticknall often ask about the cast iron water spouts that are seen in various places in the village. They were part of a public water supply installed by the Harpur Crewe estate in 1914.Read more
There’s no shortage of information on this topic. We need a local person to put together a short introduction from a Ticknall perspective for visitors who are new to the topic. Volunteers . . Anyone?Read more
In July 2017 Ticknall Archaeological Research Group had a very interesting and informative day school, led by Janet Spavold and Sue Brown, on reading the history of vernacular houses.Read more
The featured image is a modern photo ©Ticknall Life of what was once a Ticknall pub called ‘The Crown’. Does anyone have any early pictures or other material for an article here?Read more
The Ticknall Preservation and Historical Society, a voluntary non-profit-making group, have available many publications devoted to the economic and social history of the area.Read more
In the year 1739 the Hastings sisters of Ashby were in London for the season, along with many other members of the gentry of the land.Read more
We need someone to help here with a few words about how the Ticknall Tramway came to be built – including the iconic canal-style arch.Read more