Cuckoo Park

Home Forums Local History Cuckoo Park

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Bryan Smith Bryan Smith 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    Ben Price
    Participant

Hi
    I have just been reading A Short History of Foremark by SDM Ryan.

There is a mention of the nearby Knowle Hill and Cuckoo Park. Does anyone know where Cuckoo Park IS or any other info?

Thanks

Ben Price

Bryan Smith
    Bryan Smith
    Keymaster

Hi Ben,
    Can you give us any context that might help? E.g. Is it said to be in the same ownership as Foremark – do we have a date? There was a garden associated with Knowle Hill.

Out of interest, have you seen this remarkable piece in Country Images Magazine?

Regards,
    Bryan Smith

Annette Soar
    Annette Soar
    Participant

Not sure of the extent of it but it’s somewhere between Knowle Hill and Foremark Hall. Cuckoo Barn, which was converted to dwelling years ago, is on the Ingleby/Foremark Rd, on the right, before you reach the lodge.
    Regards,
    Annette Soar.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Bryan Smith Bryan Smith.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Bryan Smith Bryan Smith.
    Ben Price
    Participant

Bryan, The section falls under Anchor Caves.

“This was a favourite haunt of Sir Francis Burdett ,the reformer,
    who had the cave enlarged ,a door fitted, and used it as a cool summer dining room for picnic parties from the |Hall.

Across the trent lies Twyford and its quaint church and close by is Ingleby and Cuckoo Park.”

SDM Ryan wrote the book in about 1965 about the same time as they dug up the air raid shelters at the side of Foremark Hall.

Ben

Bryan Smith
    Bryan Smith
    Keymaster

Thanks for the additional information Ben.

In a former life – Gosh! no, it was this life! It seems so long ago – I lived on Chestnut Avenue, Foremark and (I checked this on Google Earth today) Chestnut Avenue continues as a track westwards in almost a straight line to Seven Spouts and then on to Knowle Hill. A short distance north of this line is the ‘main’ road with the dwelling known as Cuckoo Barn on the north side of the road. I have referred to some old maps that I have, but no clues there, I’m afraid. The anchorite cell, known locally as Anchor Church, is, of course, just across the road from Foremark Hall.

In case you missed it, we have an interesting piece on Knowle Hill here.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WP Twitter Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com