Pywell family in Ticknall

Home Forums Genealogy Pywell family in Ticknall

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I have records of James Pywell b. in Mickleover but later living in Ticknall as a Baker & Grocer. James married Hannah Dutton on 12.09.1815 in Ticknall. Sadly, Hannah died on 20.10.1829 in Ticknall at the age of 33 years. They had the following children all born in Ticknall, Elizabeth b. 1917 – Hannah b. 1822 – William b. 1824. James their father, died at 78 years and was buried in Ticknall.

Can anyone tell me where the Baker and Grocer shops were between 1815 and 1824 please? Any other Pywell history would be very much appreciated.

Yours,
      Tim Pywell

Participant

I have now found that Hannah Dutton’s father was Joseph Dutton and that he and James Pywell sold 3 properties in Ticknall to the Harpur Crewe estate in 1842.

Does anyone have records of the Dutton family?

Yours,
      Tim Pywell

Stuart WoodwardStuart Woodward
      Participant

I have no information re the Dutton Family but have located a James Pywell on the 1841 Tithe award living in a House opposite the Wheel Inn in Ticknall. This building still stands although many others that were in the area have been demolished. The house is known to have been traded from. If you look on Google Earth there is a house almost directly opposite the Wheel Inn. The one you are interested in would be behind this around to the right.
      Cheers
      Stuart Woodward

Participant

Stuart,

Many, many thanks for taking the trouble to look into this subject.

I take it when you say opposite you mean across the road?

Any more info on the meaning etc., of the 1841 Tithe award would be interesting.

Regards,
      Tim

Participant

The house mentioned here may be my house – but I know nothing of its ever having been a bakery. However I’ve been told that the yard behind the adjoining houses was once known as Pywell’s yard. According to neighbours our outbuilding was a cartshed and the whole site was used for changeover of ponies for the limeyards. Also I’m told that the block of houses was once a pub and the cellar was under our house – this is now filled in.

Stuart WoodwardStuart Woodward
      Participant

I have a number of records re the Pywells, e:mail me at stuhwoodward@aol.com and I will forward my info to you.
      Slight mistake on last post the Tithe award was in 1843. The house is across the street from the wheel

Participant

Many thanks Jude & Stuart for taking the time to share some truly interesting information.

Saddlery and harness making was the family skill, so as you say, they obviously had a great site to carry that out. Likewise grocery and the baking side.

James Pywell was the Baker & Grocer, William his youngest b.1824 left Ticknall for Derby, where he established his own saddlery and Harness making business, where Debenhams now is.

Elizabeth, his eldest daughter married Thomas Topliss and continued with the Grocers shop. The 18881 Census says just before the Stanton Road.

When the weather improves, I would love to come out to repeat the same steps!

Yours,
      Tim Pywell

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
WP Twitter Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com